Thursday, February 25, 2010

thoughts one February day...

Hello all!
Its been awhile, I'm sorry about that. So much has happened just in the last two weeks... I don't know where to begin! It seems like there is always something happening here. The missionary family here is really connected and we get together often. I love that about this place. I get to interact with so many different believers from all over the world here in Tansen. I can't describe the joy that I feel when we get together and I get to interact with others. This is a huge deal for me because I am most definitely an introvert. But, when you are in a forenig country that is not English-speaking and you get together with English speakers.... you talk as much as you can! :)For example, last week I got to hang out with some girls from Norway. So cool! I learned all about Norway and its people and its beliefs... totally loved it!
Let's see, I think the biggest event over the last two weeks was the Bhaj- which was the hospital's annual picnic. There were easily over 100 people there, mostly Nepali. Lots of awards, presentations, eating, skits, singing, and games. Now me, being a typical American, was thinking 'picnic': Okay, we get there, we eat, then we sing a little and play some games, then go home. No problem. Well, it started at 12:30 pm. We didn't eat until 4 pm! Man, Nepali's like to talk! And the funnest thing was watching them accept their awards for 5 years of service, 10 years of service, retirement, etc. They would walk up proudly and accept the award, bow towards the crowd, and then display their award and gift to everyone; walking around and making a big deal of it. So not what I am used to! The best part of it all was the background music. They stuck on what I would call Childrens' Sunday School music! So as these proud Nepali's accepted their gifts to "Father Abraham, had many sons..." I was just trying not to laugh. What an experience! Oh- the fun of being in a foreign country.
I am starting to understand the language more. I can't really get past "How are you" "Hello" and telling people where I am from, who my parents are, what I do, etc on the speaking side... but I am starting to be able to pick up what is being said. Its really fun when you realize how much is beginning to rub off on you.
Big News: On Saturday, the Beine family and I are heading for Pokhara, a little touristy town (with ice cream and steak!) on a lake about 4 hours from here. I am totally thrilled and plan on buying most of my souvenirs and gifts there. Then, from there (this is the best part), we are going to a wildlife refuge in Chitwan. We are staying 3 days/2 nights in the park at a resort! We are meeting two other missionary families there and I am fully prepared to have a blast! There are rhinos, elephants, tigers, and lots of other 'jungly' animals. Check it out here: http://www.islandjungleresort.com.np/island/index.htm
I think one of the hardest things about being in another country is being away from my family. I am not normally the 'drama queen' type or very moody, but here it is a whole different story. Some days I am up, and somedays I am down in the dumps. Two days ago, I was in one of those slumps. I just seemed to sink deeper and deeper, and I wanted to feel depressed. It was horrible. The next morning (yesterday) I woke up in prayer, and then opened my e-mail to find that five people had sent me encouraging and just really wonderful e-mails that totally lifted my spirits. Then, I opened up my Bible and had a great time just soaking up Scripture. I think it turned out to be one of the most productive days I have had here in Nepal so far. God is great!
Well, I probably won't be on in the next week because of my upcoming adventures. :) I will definitely post some pictures and a lengthy blog when I get back from Pokhara and Chitwan. I will only have a couple days until I turn around to head to Kathmandu for a wedding reception... another most excellent adventure! So my prayer request this week would be for safe travel and good health. The capital city has been having violent strikes this past week so pray for safety especially, that the strikes do not affect us in our travels.
Blessings and peace be upon you.
Psalm 121 I lift up my eyes to the hills— where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip— he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The LORD watches over you— the LORD is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The LORD will keep you from all harm— he will watch over your life; the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.

Oh- really quick- my didi (hired help) just came over because she had made a new dish for us to try. It had pineapple, beans, and something else that I have no idea what it is and watched me eat it to make sure I liked it. It was really funny to watch her watching me while talking in Nepali. I have no idea what she said, but it was good and I think I communicated that to her. :) I am so grateful to our didi's. They rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment