Sunday, February 7, 2010

Happy February!

Well, it is February now... the month of Groundhog Day, President's Day, Valentine's Day, and Joshua Beine's birthday! I have been incredibly blessed these last couple of weeks. I have met and interacted and fellowshipped with so many wonderful people, its really hard to put into writing my thoughts and feelings. Last night, all the 'bedeshi's' (missionaries) got together for an English service. There were Australians, Koreans, British, American, Nepali, Swedish, and Norwegian families present. How cool is that! I especially love all the accents. :) Then most of us stayed and had dinner there at the guest house, where visitors or short-term missionaries (1-6ish weeks) to the hospital can stay. It was a fun time.
Let's see, the boys and I are on week 3 of homeschooling. I don't think I have talked much about this but after one week in the tutorial (missionary) school, the boys and I along with their parents and much input from our fellow missionaries, decided to come home. There were lots of reasons, one of the main ones being that Nick- the oldest Beine- was not able to come with us to the school. As such, he was left home quite a bit especially when Mr. Beine had not joined us yet. In the end, it has been a great transition. Now I am just settling in with teaching the four boys on my own. I converted my living room into a school room where the youngest 3 and I meet everyday. Nick has his own desk at his house where he works, but still joins us in the morning for the pledge, devotions, a journal write, and morning announcements. I have finally gotten us into a routine! Its been fun to see the boys in this sort of setting and learn about their different learning styles. I have some deep thinkers! But most of all I have noticed that man these boys love to talk!!! I am an introvert by nature teaching in a class of extroverts. How did that happen?!?
Anyway, we still join the missionary school and another homeschool family for p.e on Wednesday and an assembly on Thursday. We led the assembly last week and decided to do a patriotic/ United States theme. The boys sang songs, did a little devotion, recited memorized parts of the Constitution and Declaration of Independence, and even performed a skit about Francis Scott Key (the author of the Star-Spangled Banner). I was so proud of them that day! Each one of them did an excellent job. :) We had a great time being creative and using our talents to make the assembly a special one. Most of the time, we simply share what we have learned that week and show some of our work. The kids love it and really take ownership of what he/she has created or learned.
Well, tomorrow I am going to try and write again. I went to the bazaar two days ago and took lots of pictures that I would love to share with you all! For now, some prayer requests would be:
1. One of our didi's (hired help) husband of 30 years has been having an affair that she just learned about/ witnessed with her own eyes this week. Please pray for her during this rough time, as she has three children at home to support now on only her income.
2. We have a little boy at the hospital with tetanus and pneumonia, who has been here over 3 weeks. Yesterday we had a day of prayer and fasting for him because he has been steadily getting worse. I would ask you to pray for speedy healing for Narayan- and for all the doctors/nurses who have been caring for him.
3. For good health! I still have not gotten really sick yet which is a huge blessing. However, I got hit hard this weekend with home-sickeness. I think the 'newness' of it all has finally worn off and I long for the comforts of home and a hug from my mom!
Smiles and Hugs!
-Alexa
P.S. You may have noticed my differently-colored/designed blog. I decided it needed more COLOR... and so I have added it. I feel much happier now. :)

2 comments:

  1. I love hearing your updates, thoughts, and prayer requests!!! May our God strenghten you, keep you healthy, and encourage you in the many ways I know that you are serving those around you. I love you and miss you. ~m =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alexa for sharing your experience! I am so excited to see and hear how God is working through you and especially how much He is the Center of your life! We are so blessed to be able to witness His Mercy and Grace, eh? I have always wanted to visit Katmandu, Nepal.....& now I am able to vicariously enjoy it through you! My prayers follow you!

    Your fellow traveler with Christ,

    Cary

    ReplyDelete