Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Last day in Kathmandu!

Well, today was my final day in Kathmandu... and it was very busy! I finally slept through the night the whole way through! Praise Jesus! I woke up late for here, at 7 am. :) Nepali's I have found wake up early but don't head to work until 9 or 10 am. They like to lounge and wake up slowly. Its really nice actually.
So, after breakfast we all got dressed and made sure our baggage was packed and ready to be taken to the UMN (United Mission to Nepal) Headquarters for our trip tomorrow to Tansen. A truck was coming to pick up our bags- all 14+ of them- for all 7 of us plus the Beines had to buy sheets, comforters, pillows, and towels for their house. So lots of luggage! We left the house around 8:15 to head down the hill to catch a taxi to the Tansen hospital to see if the immunizations were in stock so we could get the shots required for the trip. Thankfully, I got all of them in the states except for one which I needed to get here. We got to the hospital much earlier than planned, even despite the fact that there was a road blocked so we had to take a round-about way. We had to wait until the immunization clinic opened at 9 am- so we waited outside in the glorious sunshine. When it opened, we headed in and found out that there was no Japanese Encephalitis (what I need) but one of the three the Beines still needed was available. We ended up waiting an hour and a half before they got called in for their shots. In the states, the rabies shots would have cost around $2,000 for the Beine family. Here in Nepal, the whole family got the rabies shots for $100. How crazy and amazing is that! What a difference! And I have been noticing that even though we always bargain for the taxis, we only spent $2 coming home today from a friends house that was around 10-15 minutes long. Cheap!
Back to the story, the boys and Kimberly finally got their shots one at a time. The youngest, Josh, cried and cried and cried! Nate was next, and he did pretty well. Then Jake and Nick. When Kimberly went in, I found a book to read to the boys because a few looked a little green. Next thing I knew, Nate was on the floor- he laid down before he actually passed out. He turned so pale that it scared me! After having some candy to suck on and a trip to the bathroom (which had no soap or toliet paper), we set out for the Boehm's house. These are old friends of the Beine family and they have three boys right around the Beine boys' ages. It was a perfect playdate! Their gate surprised me because it looked to be made out of tin. However, once through the gate I was pleasantly surprised. They have a beautiful house and HUGE yard right in the middle of the city. A boy's paradise, complete with trampoline and tire swing which I simply could not resist! We dropped the boys a little before 11 and booked it back to our temporary home to oversee the bags being packed. Then, we caught a lift over to the UMN HQ to meet the director, register Mrs. Beine for medical work (she's a doctor), and confirm our seats on the bus tomorrow. We were served coffee as we chatted and it was wonderful and hot! After that was done in an amazingly short period of time, Mrs. Beine and I walked back to the Boehms house. Mrs. Boehm had made a wonderful chicken pot pie from scratch with a garden salad! Amazing. We never have salad here! The whole meal and conversation was wonderful, I certainly felt refreshed. Her husband is a Wycliffe translator and is currently working through 1 and 2 Thessalonians. After some time, Kimberly and I again left and headed to the bookstore to get some gifts for our host's children. I ended up making my first Nepali purchase all on my own, with my own rupees! It was a fun moment- I got paint brushes for the school out in Tansen. I brought acrylic paint, I just had forgotten the paintbrushes! Then, we went a little farther and bought the most wonderful-tasting oranges that I have ever had! Incredibly sweet. We bought if from a street vendor, picture a farmer's market type of thing. He opened both types of oranges he had for sale and gave us each half. After gathering our purchases, we went back to the Boehms to collect the boys and head home. By this time it was around 4 pm. We got here, were lounging around the house for about an hour and a half, then had a wonderful dinner of fried rice. Last night we had a huge, huge Nepali meal when their church small group came over- so we took all the veggies and rice and meat and dumped it all in a pan to warm. So yummy! I was a little afraid because last night, I tried everything that was prepared- even if I was a little skeptical- and one of the veggie dishes totally lit my mouth on fire! I was like 'ah ah I need water!!! Oh nevermind, there is a water shortage. I will just drink my glass and eat lots of rice! Oh it burns!" Let's just say, any trace of cold I had was burned out of my system!
As much fun as this is, I really should be heading to bed. We have to wake up around 4, 4:30 am in order to catch the bus at 6 am tomorrow morning. I close with some prayer requests:
1) That our trip to Tansen goes smoothly. No roadblocks, no accidents, no getting carsick!
2) That our transition from being a guest in Kathmandu to actually settling in Tansen for the next five months is a smooth one.
3) For good health! Nothing to report so far on my end except for a cold and currently a stomach-ache.
4) That the boys and I can join the school next week and really connect with the other teacher/students. I am so looking forward to our first school day. We run from Sunday-Thursday from 8 am-1 pm. (Saturday here is like a Sunday back home)
I hope this finds you well and happy! God bless, and thank you for your support!!!!
P.S All the pictures are from the Boehm's wonderful house! Isn't the fort awesome???

No comments:

Post a Comment