Monday, January 11, 2010

Kathmandu

Kathmandu. This city is unlike any other that I have ever seen. Today I went with Mrs. Beine and the four boys to the British Embassy on the other side of the city to meet with some friends of hers from previous trips to Nepal. Where I am staying is on the outskirts of Nepal... so we have been mostly staying on the outer edge. Well, today I went right through the heart of Kathmandu. The traffic was horrendous, the air was thick with pollution, and there was trash/dirt everywhere. Vendors were selling vegetables and fruits right on the roads. I can't imagine that you would taste anything but dirt and dust! The streets were packed with people and cars and motorcycles. It took us about 40 minutes to get there by taxi, thank goodness the strike is over. (Yesterday there was a huge strike so no one was supposed to drive on the roads. If you do, they burn your tires and throw rocks at you. Needless to say, we stayed home yesterday!) We got there a little before the meeting time and it was a totally different world stepping beyond the gates into the embassy from the streets. We ate lunch on a huge lawn with a playground and one of the biggest, coolest trees I have ever seen! It is the most perfect climbing tree! And I got to eat FRENCH FRIES right next to it in the glorious sunshine. It had to be about 65-70 degrees today. Brilliant! It felt just like California heat. We ate lunch with Mrs. Beine's two friends and their children. It was a merry party, and I just sat and got to soak up their beautiful British accents. I love listening to people of other cultures. It makes me wonder what I sound like to them. From here, Kimberly and I took a quick run to a 'grocery' store to get some supplies. It was my first time shopping here. So fun! The assortment of goods is totally different than the US, most of it I couldn't read but could guess at what it was. Eggs are sold in containers of 15, 3 rows of 5. And their loaves of bread are much smaller than a loaf of bread in the U.S. I had fun wandering up and down the aisles, even though I knew I was definitely being stared at! I think I am finally getting used to that. We bought ingredients for Spandan's birthday (my host's daughter). She is turning one in about two weeks so we had a little celebration tonight for her. She's adorable! And the chocolate cake was amazing! I have been going through chocolate withdrawals. Plus, there is a sugar shortage in Nepal. So the cake was a definite plus. We baked it in a miracle oven, which is when you have a special cake pan-like Bundt cake- that you put over a stove burner on low heat for about an hour. It tastes different than cake made back in the States but it was still good. :) Happy Birthday Spandan!
Let's see, oh- on the way home from the Embassy to the Shresthas (my host family for the week I am in Kathmandu) there was a little excitment. Traffic was more insane than usual because it was about 4 o'clock. We needed to stop by a fruit stand to get some of the items we missed off our list, so we asked the taxi driver when we got in if he wouldn't mind one stop on the way. Of course, he didn't because it meant more money for him! Anyway, we found a fruit stand and pulled over. Kimberly got out and I stayed with the four boys in the taxi- it wasn't like we could move anyway with the five of us crammed in the backseat. Right before she got out, I started thinking... this taxi driver better not pull anything and try to drive off. I don't have any money! And I don't know the way home! And I don't speak Nepali!!!! So, Kimberly got out. We waited about 10 seconds and then the driver pulled out into the traffic! I was like, oh my word! What do I do? Maybe I can knock him out of his seat and I can drive back to Kimberly. But I can't move! I have a boy sitting on my lap and three next to me. Well, maybe all of us can jump out of the car! No no never mind scratch that. We would all get run over.... As these thoughts and more were running through my head, I realized his blinker was on. Okay, okay, maybe he was just getting to a better place to pull over. Yes! That was it. Thank the Lord! We waited about 30 more seconds and he did it again! This time the boys were getting a little panicky- 'why are we going? we have to wait for mom!' Thankfully, he stopped just ahead and Kimberly came running up and got into the car. So that was my stressful situation of the day. I am happy to say that we all made it back, no taxi driver tried to abduct me today!
My big ideas of the day: it helps to stay in big groups and not try to be Miss Independent here. And I really have to trust God. My faith has been growing so much stronger just in these last few days. The dependency on God here is real. There is so much confusion and chaos that sometimes you have to just say, 'Okay God. Here I am. I'm trusting in you for guidance and protection because thats all I can do. I have no control so I am giving it all to you." I think in America, I lose sight of that far too often. I can be Miss Independent and can rely on myself. Sometimes I feel like I put God on a shelf and just pull Him out when I need Him. But He is so much more than that. I'm loving where I am at right now. And I am loving Nepal. There are no real words to express how grateful I am for this opportunity, and how much I have realized all that I take for granted in the US. On the way home, before the taxi story, I saw three boys who couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 years old, all smoking cigarettes on the side of the road. Wow. There were dozens of people around, and no one was trying to stop them. Rather, the people were almost encouraging them! As if the polluted air in this city wasn't enough. No wonder the life expectancy here is only in the 50s or 60s.
Alright, I have started rambling a bit. I am tired. And I realize it is only 9 pm but I am heading to bed. Good morning to all of those in the states. My clock says its about 7:25 am on the west coast. How weird that I have already lived the day that you are about to live. Here's to it being filled with the Spirit! I sign off with this:
Isaiah 60:1 "Arise, shine for your light has come and the glory of the LORD has risen upon you"

1 comment:

  1. OH my goodness Alexa, I'm so proud of you for living in Nepal! I am really glad to hear how much God is teaching you!! :D That's awesome. --Amy Saito

    ReplyDelete